venerdì 8 maggio 2009

Black sheep or computer addicted? Be critical!

Hi guys!
This week, during our Wednesday lesson we discussed in groups the risks involved in using the Internet. There came out some interesting crucial points, e.g. serious problems with viruses, Trojan horses, hackers, unconscious clicking, the issues connected with privacy violation, credit card cloning, copyright infringement, and the less obvious consequences of identity and addiction problems.

With my peers, I reflected on how the Internet can be a risky tool as it often affects security. We thought in particular about the problem of “email spoofing”, which can affect the security of a site and aims at getting sensitive information from the addresser, such as passwords. This fraudulent email activity is only one of the main problems affecting people who are working with a computer. A probable solution to protect yourself in this case would be the use of a regularly updated antivirus software and the elimination of any attachment containing vague and strange messages from unknown persons.

Personally, I am not very handy at working with the computer and Internet. I use it mainly when I have to retrieve some information from the Web, or when I have to learn something new for our English course. I usually use Skype and write emails only to keep in contact with Italian and foreign friends. Moreover, I have to admit that when I can’t manage the material I need at first and the computer works slowly and badly, it becomes annoying for me to deal with technology.
As far as privacy is concerned, I think that we should not avoid putting our personal information on the Internet, but only limit ourselves to what is necessary in order to work with our computer that is why I don’t like using Facebook. On the other hand, I am conscious that in our globalized world I am in a certain way “obliged” to use this tool, which can become very useful and facilitate my work if used properly.

After our discussion, I realised that many people can see the Internet as a sort of “evil”, but the thing is that anyone, me included, should become aware of the potentiality of the computer, and of how it can be advantageous if used correctly. This is why a proper user should learn how to use it responsively without abusing or avoiding it. To conclude, I can say that it is important to develop and maintain a critical awareness of what you are accessing on the Web.

That’s all for now,
Bye
Anna

3 commenti:

  1. Hi Anny!
    I've just read your post, and I think you wrote a clear and easily readable message. As I said in my previuos comments, I like the fact that the paragraphs of the message are divided through blank spaces because this gives a positive visual impact to the whole text. As far as the content is concerned, I believe that you developed the subject with coherence and cohesion. In your post there is an introductory part where you introduce the subject of the discourse, then there is a body where you write about what we did in class last Wednesday in greater detail. Finally, in the last two paragraphs you give your personal opinions, and sum up what you've learnt from the activity we did in class.
    As concerns language, I have some suggestions for you.
    - I know this is an old habit, but it's a bad one!!..The verb 'to discuss' is transitive in English: it's immediately followed by a direct object that is never preceded by the preposition 'about'.
    - Listing the crucial points that came out during the lesson, sometimes you used the semicolon, sometimes the comma to separate the different items. I'd use the comma because the items aren't sentences but just phrases.
    - At the end of the second paragraph I'd write: "A probable solution to protect yourself in this case would be to use a regularly updated antivirus software and not to trust..." instead of "don't trust". I think you need the infinitive here because the use of 'would' is implied, and 'would' is followed by the infinitive.
    - I think there are problems with the basic structure of the sentence in English. I'd write "...when I can't manage the material I need at first..." and "..I think we should avoid putting our personal information on the Internet". In English the verb is usually followed by the object, and then you put the rest of the sentence.
    - I'd write "..., which is why I don't like using Facebook" because I think this is a non-defining relative clause. In any case, the relative pronoun 'that' is never preceded by a comma.
    -I'd write "anyone, me included" or "anyone, including me".
    - You wrote "should becomes" instead of "should become".
    - Finally, I'd write "This is why a proper user should learn how to use it responsively without abusing or avoiding it" and not "that is...".

    For now that's all,
    see you soon,
    Michela

    RispondiElimina
  2. Hi Anna!
    You wrote a very clear post. I noticed that you change the colour of your post every week.
    It is very nice because you make your blog very bright.
    Concerning the language I have some suggestions:

    -in this part of the sentence "...serious problems with viruses, Trojan horses and hackers; unconscious clicking; the issues connected with privacy violation, credit card cloning, copyright infringement; and the less obvious consequences of identity and addiction problems..." I would always put commas to divided the items

    -I don't like the sentence "We were able to think" it sounds so strange...

    -"I have to admit that when I can’t manage at first the material" the position of "at first" seems wrong to me

    -"including me" instead of "included me"

    See you tomorrow
    Cristina

    RispondiElimina
  3. Hi Anna!
    I read your post and I think that your reflections are really interesting. In particular, I like the fact that you wrote about your personal experience. The structure of your post is clear thanks to the division in paragraph and I think that the use of different colors to highlight the key-words is really useful and catch the reader's attention.

    I have some suggestions for you:
    - This week, in (here I think it's better to use 'during')our Wednesday lesson
    -We were able to think (here I'd write 'we thought' to simplify )in particular about the problem of “email spoofing”, which can affect the security of a site,(here I don't think you need a comma)and aims at getting sensitive information from the addresser, such as passwords.
    -A probable solution to protect yourself in this case would be to use (here I'd write 'the use of' because it sounds better to me;-) ) a regularly updated antivirus software and don't trust (in this way you can use 'the elimination of' and avoid the problem of the verb regency) any attachment containing vague and strange messages from persons who are unknown to you (I'd write 'unknown persons' to simplify).
    -it becomes annoying for me (I'd write 'for me' at the beginning, remember SVO)to deal with technology.
    -I think that we should (did you forget a 'not'?)avoid putting on the Internet our personal information,but only limit ourselves to what is necessary in order to work with our computer
    -our globalizeD world I am in a certain way “obliged” to use this tool, which, if used properly(I'd put it at the end of the sentence), can become very useful and facilitate my work.

    See you tomorrow,
    Elisabetta

    RispondiElimina