giovedì 30 aprile 2009

Get started with Google Docs

Hi everybody!
During our Wednesday lesson in the lab we were introduced into the world of Google Docs, a free web-based tool. It functions like any basic word processor and allows us to have our documents always online in order to share and edit them with our peers at the same time.
Since we were already familiar with the wiki from our first semester, we pointed out the main differences and I finally found out that using Google Docs can be really advantageous.

  • It is a service available from any computer on the Web where you can write a text and save it online.
  • While on a wiki anyone can edit many different pages, with Google Docs you have to invite peers and colleagues to privately share documents.
  • While on a wiki, only one user can edit a page at a time, on Google Docs, you can work with other people, edit a document simultaneously and see the names and the changes of who is editing with you.

Once I realised the potentiality of this tool, I worked online with my colleagues to check a number of references basing on the APA style. I have to admit that this activity of finalizing an academic work was a little bit annoying and frustrating, as it is difficult for me to remember the right conventions for referencing, but I enjoyed using this useful new tool.
I don’t know if I will use Google Docs to share documents or to work with other colleagues, but this is another technological discovery for me, which may be fruitful if I have to save a document online.


See you soon,
Anna

3 commenti:

  1. Hi Anna!
    I've just read your relective post about Google Docs. You explained what you learnt in class and by doing the task very well. Your message is well structured, and has a positive visula impact on the reader since it's not a long message with few long paragraphs. It's made up of three paragraphs of almost the same length, and the central one is a list. As far as the content is concerned, I perfectly agree with you when you say that you found the task on references abit difficult and frustating. When I have to write an academic text I always have problems with referencing.
    As far as language is concerned, I think your post is grammatically correct. Perhaps, I'd have written some sentences in another way, but simply because to write (not only in English, but also in every other language)is a very personal activity, and there is no one single way to write. Here are some suggestions for you.
    - I'd have shorten the first sentence because in English it's much better to have simpler sentences than complex ones.
    - Instead of writing "...that using Google Docs can be very advantageous" I'd have written "...that to use ...". I think that when the subject of a sentence is a verb, the verb must be in the infinitive.
    - In the last sentence I'd have written "...but this is another technological discovery..".
    However, I'm a bit more confident because I noticed that all of us are making improvements in accuracy when writing in English.
    For now that's all!
    See you soon,
    Michela

    RispondiElimina
  2. Hi Anna!
    I read your post and I found it well structure and clear. I appreciated in particular the fact that you use indentationt to make more clear your post.
    Concerning your language I make only few suggestions.
    -I think the first sentence is too long, maybe it is better if you put a full-stop after word processor.
    -I don't like the expression "a certain amount of text"..I think it is right from a grammatical point of view but it doesn't sound good :)
    See you tomorrow!
    Cristina

    RispondiElimina
  3. Hi Anna!
    I read your post and I think you explained in a very clear and effective way the use of Google Docs. I appreciated the fact that you use bullet points and you highlights some words because in this way the post is more appealing and easy to read.
    I have some suggestions for you, even if they are more or less the same of those of Michela and Elena. I think that it's better to split the first sentence into two parts: 'During our Wednesday lesson in the lab we were introduced into the world of Google Docs, a free web-based tool. It functions as any basic word processor and allows us to have our documents always online in order to share and edit them with our peers at the same time'. Then, instead of 'using Google Docs can be really advantageous', I prefer more the nominal form 'the use of Google Docs', but this is my personal taste ;-). Another suggestion is 'I worked online with my colleagues to check a number of references basing IT on the APA style' because with the pronoun 'it' I think that the sentence is more clear. Finally, I think it's better to use 'I don’t know if I AM GOING TO use Google Docs' instead of 'will'.
    I hope my suggestions are right.

    See you tomorrow ;-)

    Elisabetta

    RispondiElimina