mercoledì 8 aprile 2009

Critical reading -Task on Handout 1

Hello everybody!

During my research about evaluating online sources I came across the article “Semantic associations in Business English: A corpus-based analysis” that I retrieved using Google Scholar. On the basis of what we learnt in class about critical reading, I chose to analyse this article because it can give me interesting information about a subject that I would like to develop for my final thesis.
From the abstract I was able to catch the main gist of the article and I realised that it was about semantic associations of words found in the business lexical environment by using a word corpus of both spoken and written Business English. This overview was useful to understand the aim of the research, which was written to show how words in the Business English environment interact with each other on a semantic level. Besides the abstract I found the name of the author Mike
Nelson, who is professor at the University of Turku, and the date when it was published online (7 April 2005). Last but not least I found the domain of the website.
I understood that the article was reliable because the author was linked to the University of Finland, and belonged to a language centre where he studied English for specific purposes, the text was copyrighted, the language used was formal and the style academic.
Now I can understand that it is essential to take an analytical approach if you want to retrieve all relevant information you need for your research. So be selective and critical while searching and if you are interested in the particular topic I analysed, you can find it among the bookmarks I saved on
delicious.

Bye
Anna

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento