mercoledì 29 aprile 2009

Reflections on Linguistic Feedbacks

In this reflective post I would like to point out the common mistakes that came out after my classmates' feedbacks. From their comments there appeared some crucial grammar errors upon which I have to reflect.

  1. I have to remember that “in order to” and the subordinator “because” are not preceded by a comma.
  2. It is better to use 'because' and 'since' when I have to explain the cause of an event since the conjunction 'as' has a lot of meanings and can be ambiguous.
  3. In the same sentence I forgot to put the subject, for example I wrote "now is time ..." instead of "now it's time". So I did not considered the old rule that in English there must always be a subject - be it impersonal or not.
  4. I have to remember the difference between 'can' and "to be able to' when they're used in the past and in affirmative sentences. While “could” is used to indicate general abilities, “was/were able to” refers to a particular situation.
  5. I have to be careful when I choose a preposition in English and if I am still not sure I should check it in a monolingual dictionary.
  6. Last but not least: since English is a reader responsible language, I must remember our basic rule to simplify the most as possible because sometimes I tend to write too long and intricate sentences. It is better to split a sentence into different parts to make it clearer, and to choose the correct word order to avoid ambiguity.

I must admit that many mistakes I made are caused by distraction, and I should be more careful in future in order to avoid them and write as clearly and in the simplest way as possible.
Personally, I appreciated the feedbacks my classmates gave me, and I think that they can be very fruitful for me.

Thank you all girls!
Bye
Ann
a

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento